Our Chattanooga Data Center: More Power to The Gig City
DC BLOX chose Chattanooga, the fourth largest city in Tennessee as one of its first data center locations because of its geographical location and growth in population as well as industry. Located in the southeast of the state, this transit hub serves as a junction of four interstate highways lying within 150 miles of Atlanta, Knoxville, Nashville, Huntsville, and Birmingham. The city has won several national awards for outstanding “livability”, excellence in housing and consolidated planning Chattanooga has made national news for it’s attractiveness to both families and business:
- In 2008, the city was selected as the site for Volkswagen’s first U.S. auto plant in over 30 years.
- In 2009, Forbes Magazine named it No. 8 for “best bang-for-your-buck” among America’s 100 biggest metro areas.
- In 2010, Chattanooga launched the first one gigabit per second Internet service in the United States, provided through the city-owned utility Electric Power Board or EPB.
Chattanooga’s economy is diversified between manufacturing, distribution, tourism and hospitality, service and an emerging high-tech startup industry.
DC BLOX CHATTANOOGA now delivers speed-of-light connectivity, hyper-converged infrastructure, Software Defined Networking and high-density computing to enterprise organizations in Chattanooga, Atlanta, Knoxville and Nashville metro areas. We designed, constructed and carefully stationed this first purpose-built Edge BLOX data center to bring faster streaming video, more responsive interactive games, global content providers and adaptive Business Continuity services to the Gig City.
- Purpose built, modular Edge BLOX data center
- 8,000 sq. ft. facility – Phase I
- Expandable for a total of 16,000 sq. ft. – Phase II or build to suit
- Modular, self-contained BLOX Pods on reinforced concrete slab
- 50U lockable racks
- High density options available
- Dual 1600 Amp Utility Service
- Automatic Utility Transfer Switch fed from diverse sub stations
- Two 1.5MW Caterpillar generators
- 36 hours on site fuel storage
- Redundant UPS feeds to all Edge BLOX Pods
- 1.2MW of UPS power
- N+N UPS Systems
- Barrier gate at single point of entry
- Perimeter fencing
- 24x7x365 manned security desk
- Secure customer lockers
- 5 concentric security perimeters: property, data center, data hall, BLOX Pod and rack with biometric and badge access
- CCTV at perimeter, data center hall and BLOX Pods
- Ciena-powered 8.8Tbs private optical network
- Mesh protected connectivity to Digital Realty ATL1 IX at 56 Marietta St. in Atlanta and NashIX at 147 4th Ave in Nashville
- Strategically positioned add and drop ramps extend edge services to broader geographies including Birmingham, Huntsville, Dalton and Rome
- Carrier-neutral (ATT, Windstream, EPB, Comcast, Peace Communications, iRis Networks)
- Redundant carrier and network distribution rooms
- 240 Ton air-cooled chiller plant
- 240 Ton high efficiency dry cooler plant
- Dedicated hot aisle heat exchangers with N+1 cooling capacity
- Located within 150 miles of Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville and Huntsville makes Chattanooga a best practice distance for Disaster Recovery
- Modular BLOX Pods dissipate 50% more heat using the same energy as conventional raised floor and enable superior PUE
- Customers can choose pay-as-you-go, draw down, bursting, reservation, and fixed rate term services
- Lightning fast round trip between DC BLOX Chattanooga and Digital Realty’s ATL1 IX at 56 Marietta is 3.5ms or less